Monday, April 23, 2012

35 years….Where did the time go??

It’s hard for me to believe it but today is my 35th wedding anniversary! 

We look so young!!  And we were!

35 years 

I remember the spring that year in Ohio was wonderful and warm!  The lilacs…my favorite….were blooming like crazy!  At our rehearsal dinner my mother in law had huge bouquets of them on every table and the whole room was filled with the lovely smell of lilacs!

Thirty five years has given us our share of ups and downs and many wonderful memories.  Things seemed so simple then! We worried about nothing and enjoyed everything.  We have laughed together as we watched our children grow and seen our grandson born and we have cried together as we watched parents and loved ones pass. 

When I think of the past thirty five years I have to smile as I think of one of my favorite parts from the movie Parenthood.  Steve Martin’s character Gil had been complaining about his complicated life and then Grandma offers her wisdom.

You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster.
Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride!
I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.

That pretty much sums up our marriage! I hope the roller coaster ride continues for thirty five more!  Happy Anniversary Don!

No comments: