Thursday, April 20, 2017

Izannah Walker style doll

Trying to get back in the swing of things.  After moving, again, and hopefully for the last time for quite awhile, I finally got the sewing room unpacked and somewhat organized.  At least organized enough to start some projects. 
 
I decided to go back to the beginning of my doll making and work on an Izannah Walker type doll.  Notice I said style.  In no way is this doll a true reproduction of her work. 
 
Many years ago my first dolls that I made for sale were made in a similar style, hand painted and layered with varnishes.  They were sold in a doll shop in historic Zoar, Ohio and dressed in the fashion of the settlers of the village.  That was many years ago now!  That really started me on the path of the primitive folk art dolls and it seems no matter what I go back to those type of dolls. 
 
Over the years I've studied and sold porcelain reproduction dolls, primitives and antique dolls and really each type of study helps you appreciate them all. 
 
This little one was fun...not perfect...but got me back at the sewing machine!  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: